Essays in an edited volume:
- “Nomadic Musical Audiences: A Historical Precedent for the Grateful Dead.” In Reading the Grateful Dead: A Critical Survey, edited by Nicholas G. Meriwether, 237–246. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press, 2012.
Encyclopedia and dictionary entries:
- “Allman Brothers Band”; “Big Brother and the Holding Company with Janis Joplin”; “Grateful Dead.” In The 100 Greatest Bands of All Time, edited by David V. Moskowitz. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC–CLIO/Greenwood Press, 2015.
- “Jam Band”; “Love”; “Phish”; “Psychedelic Rock.” In The New Grove Dictionary of American Music, 2nd edition, edited by Charles Hiroshi Garrett. New York: Oxford University Press, 2013.
- Review of Very Good for an American: Essays on Edward MacDowell, ed. E. Douglas Bomberger. American Music, forthcoming.
- Review of Current Directions in Ecomusicology: Music, Culture, Nature, ed. Aaron S. Allen and Kevin Dawe. Notes 74, no. 1 (September 2017): 83–86.
- Review of Mad Music: Charles Ives, the Nostalgic Rebel, by Stephen Budiansky. Notes 72, no. 2 (December 2015): 351–53.
- Review of George Whitefield Chadwick: The Life and Music of the Pride of New England, by Bill F. Faucett. Bulletin of the Society for American Music 41, no. 2 (Spring 2015).
- Review of Grateful Dead and the Art of Rock Improvisation, by David Malvinni. Notes 71, no. 3 (March 2015): 486–489.
- Review of Peter Gabriel, From Genesis to Growing Up, edited by Michael Drewett, Sarah Hill, and Kimi Kärki. Notes 68, no. 4 (June 2012): 765–767.